Although Venus and Mars are considered the cosmic couple, the Sun and the Moon can also represent union between sexes, erotic energy and a universal love story that has never come true. The sun and moon tattoo designs that encompass both planets together have a totally different meaning than when they are inked separately. The story behind the following imagery can go from showing simple moon phases to highlighting the opposites or worshiping the male or female parts.
- 1 The merging of opposites
- 2 Separate Sun and Moon tattoo designs
- 3 Make that Sun and Moon tattoo double
- 4 1. Half Sun, Half Moon tattoo
- 5 2. Through every dark night is a brighter day
- 6 3. Sun and Moon watching over nature
- 7 4. Landscape that emphasizes the moon
- 8 5. An array of planets on forearm
- 9 6. Cute sun and moon becoming one
- 10 7. Dual nature and embellishments
- 11 8. The sun is a she
- 12 9. The type of pure power
- 13 10. Celestial bodies inked on different legs
- 14 11. Moon of my life…
- 15 12. Ornamental Sun and Moon on feet
- 16 13. Yin and Yang on feet brought together
- 17 14. Sun, Moon and the other Stars
- 18 15. A more scientific approach
- 19 16. Not so happy facial expressions
- 20 17. Water-colored planets on different forearms
- 21 18. Half-moon, landscape and magic
- 22 19. Half moon as a finger tattoo
- 23 20. A perfect circle as the cycle of life
- 24 21. Tiny half moon on wrists
- 25 22. Luna Carter makes her moon full
- 26 23. Black and white arm tattoo
- 27 24. An epic sun and moon kiss
- 28 25. Artsy portraits on feet
- 29 26. Delicate sun design with feminine embellishments
- 30 27. Half moon with rose fillings
- 31 28. Cursive writing embedded in a half moon
- 32 29. Half moon combination on left side
- 33 30. The Sun expressed through a mandala
- 34 31. Moon merged with Sun
- 35 32. Sun and moon tattoo designs for women
- 36 33. Cosmic lovers almost kissing
- 37 34. Red Sun and Blue Moon
- 38 35. A compass made of sun, moon and stars
- 39 36. Bright Sun and sleepy Moon
- 40 37. Watercolors and the moon’s embrace
- 41 38. A couple in the Universe’s net
- 42 39. A peculiar yet fascinating style
- 43 40. A grumpy circle on back
- 44 41. Minimalism and dotwork in one
- 45 42. Night sky overlapping Sun’s mandala
- 46 43. Half moon and sun in the center
- 47 44. Colored opposites merging on a shoulder
- 48 45. The god and the goddess properly drawn
- 49 46. Opposites that do not merge
- 50 47. A couple tattoo with great meaning
- 51 48. Every Moon phase from the neck down
- 52 49. An Indo-European representation
- 53 50. Small feminine tattoo on wrist
- 54 51. Our love will last forever
- 55 52. Wolf staring at the moon by Miguel Angel
- 56 53. Beautiful moon tattoo on foot
- 57 54. Clown hangs from a half moon
- 58 55. Dark half moon placed on forearm
- 59 56. All the moon phases without exceptions
- 60 57. Half moon, tulips and a black cat
- 61 58. Half moon and stars behind the ear
- 62 59. Half moon made of flowers and leaves
- 63 60. Nicely shaded half moon on the nape of the neck
- 64 61. Delicate inking on a woman’s hand
- 65 62. Stars, clouds and the half moon
- 66 63. As realistic as it gets
- 67 64. Half moon instead of ring
- 68 65. Cat, half moon and flowers
- 69 66. A tribal depiction of the half moon
- 70 67. Realistic moon phases on spine
- 71 68. Sun, Moon and their powers
- 72 69. Tribal sun made of swirls
- 73 70. Half moon adorned with flowers
- 74 71. Another view over the sun and moon portraits
- 75 72. Earth and Moon united in a balanced composition
- 76 73. Half moon and a road of stars
- 77 74. Sun and moon tattoo designs with half mandalas
- 78 75. A simple looking celestial pair
The merging of opposites
Speaking of male and female, you must know that the Sun represents the masculine part and the Moon the feminine part. The energy emanated by the Sun is full of strength and power, whilst the energy coming from the Moon is calm and stable. Well, at least in theory if we’re not taking into account how the Moon phases can influence us and nature.
One of the most popular sun and moon tattoo designs presents them positioned in a yin and yang style. This is because they are seen as good and bad, as day and night, and as feminine and masculine. When they are drawn together, they form a perfect circle that talks about the cycle of life, death and rebirth.
When they are together in a tattoo design, these planets can symbolize love and marriage. Even so, the sun is seen as active because it rises and sets every time, while the moon is the passive one who takes what she gets.
Separate Sun and Moon tattoo designs
The sun and moon can make wonderful tattoos even if they are not depicted together. Both planets have standalone meanings. For example, one popular moon tattoo design is that of the Moon’s phases. A woman can actually relate to her phases considering her body goes through monthly phases as well. Moreover, the Moon is full of mysticism and it was worshiped before the Sun was. Isis uses to predate sun worshipers later on as part of the Egyptian culture.
The Sun was also worshiped and believed to be some sort of guardian of the day. It was also believed to have power over the crops, the weather and the fate of the people. In tattoo, you will find it as the Rising Sun, the Japanese Sun, the Mayan Sun, the Celtic Sun, the Polynesian Sun and the Black Sun.
When you think about the Sun, you should consider the following meanings:
- sexual fertility
- eternal renewal
- dusk or dawn
- male energy
- life-giving strength
- new life
- life force
When you think about the Moon, you should consider the following meanings:
- cyclical nature
- feminine mystique
- power of astrology
- expulsion of negative energy
- darkness/dark side
- Wiccan beliefs
- memory of loved ones
Make that Sun and Moon tattoo double
Merging these two planets in one or just getting one of them inked on your skin are not the only options. People also tend to choose them as separate tattoos, usually placed on different legs or feet, as you will see below. You have virtually countless types of tattoos to chose from.
Just as there are multiple types of Sun tattoos, we can also count a few Moon tattoos, such as crescent moon, full moon, blue moon and evil moon. Some designs are combined with animals, plants or other symbols as well. It’s all part of the process that you should go through before deciding on one.
- 80 Aztec Tattoos Symbols and Meanings that’re really Great
- What To Know About Individual Braids
- 70+ Engagement Ring Tattoos Never Seen Before for You and Your Love
- 70+ Jaw Dropping Side and Lower Stomach Tattoos for Both Sexes
- 80 Religious Christian Tattoo Designs with Deep Meaning
1. Half Sun, Half Moon tattoo
As we have already established, the Sun and the Moon can be though of as dual. So, if you think your good side and your bad side can meet in a harmonious way and are balanced, then this tattoo can represent what you feel.
2. Through every dark night is a brighter day
A thigh tattoo, this one is nicely embellished with jewelry and comes to a message that says it all: “Through every dark night is a brighter day.”
3. Sun and Moon watching over nature
Each design can be modified so that it contains traits that define its wearer. For example, this tattoo encompasses something that looks like a Lotus flower, which is a symbol of purity.
4. Landscape that emphasizes the moon
The moon can guide you in nature and through the night, so seeking its help and wisdom is not wrong at all.
5. An array of planets on forearm
The sun is definitely the center piece of this tattoo giving its size and importance in the solar system. This one presents a more scientific approach to planets.
6. Cute sun and moon becoming one
This really simple, yet expressive tattoo brings both celestial bodies together in a simple depiction placed on one’s ankle.
7. Dual nature and embellishments
8. The sun is a she
This tat is not really accurate, as the moon is actually a she. However, you can’t question the cuteness of this design.
9. The type of pure power
10. Celestial bodies inked on different legs
This idea right here is not very common, but still practiced by some. The sad part is that they never actually meet, just like in real life. However, they look mighty fine next to each other.
11. Moon of my life…
…my Sun and star. As a declaration of love, one is for another that without he or she cannot live; literally and metaphorically.
12. Ornamental Sun and Moon on feet
Very similar with the idea presented above, this person adapted it by changing the tattooed area, which are her feet. Before you decide on inking something on your feet, please take into account that because of shoe wear, these tattoos fade away quicker.
13. Yin and Yang on feet brought together
If cannot stand the idea of keeping these two apart, maybe you like the idea above.
14. Sun, Moon and the other Stars
The night is much more generous with showing us what else it’s on the sky.
15. A more scientific approach
Minimalist tattoos are very fashionable right now. Since you cannot draw something scientific in a realistic style, then you have to reduce it to a few lines.
16. Not so happy facial expressions
This sun and moon look cranky, but the technique they were inked in is flawless.
17. Water-colored planets on different forearms
This image presents the same idea, inked in a totally different style with watercolors.
18. Half-moon, landscape and magic
19. Half moon as a finger tattoo
If you imagine it simple enough, you can fit a half moon on your finger!
20. A perfect circle as the cycle of life
21. Tiny half moon on wrists
Moons are so versatile that you can opt to draw them as simple or as complex as you want.
22. Luna Carter makes her moon full
A half moon connected with lettering can have a lot of meanings. Luna Carter is one lucky person for sure!
23. Black and white arm tattoo
Sun and moon tattoo designs will not always be accurate.
24. An epic sun and moon kiss
Kissing is romantic and sweet, so why not opt for a design that show the sun and the moon doing that.
25. Artsy portraits on feet
26. Delicate sun design with feminine embellishments
Whether a sun tattoo looks feminine or not, that is totally up to your choice in design.
27. Half moon with rose fillings
A much appreciated idea; taking a shape and filling it with something totally different, this one actually flatters this chick’s collarbone area.
28. Cursive writing embedded in a half moon
If you’re not into perfect fillings, but you still want to put something in your half moon, then go for writing and faded watercolor shading.
29. Half moon combination on left side
30. The Sun expressed through a mandala
Mandalas are great ways of expressing parts of the Universe or the Sun itself in this case. They are harmonious, repetitive and brightly colored.
31. Moon merged with Sun
Without impersonating them and giving them humanoid faces, this gal opted for a merging design between the sun and the moon and placed it in the middle of her upper back.
32. Sun and moon tattoo designs for women
As you have probably already noticed, those designs fitted for women are accompanied by jewelry and other decorations.
33. Cosmic lovers almost kissing
With two pairs of full human lips on their portraits, the sun and the moon are about to kiss in this tattoo.
34. Red Sun and Blue Moon
We associate certain colors with certain sensations, such as red for hot and blue for cold. Therefore, the association above cannot be more accurate if you look at it this way.
35. A compass made of sun, moon and stars
This tattoo is unique and it might refer to finding a way through life and universe. The cardinal points serve as guidance, just as the Moon’s and Sun’s positions could.
36. Bright Sun and sleepy Moon
The moon is theoretically asleep during the day while the sun rules.
37. Watercolors and the moon’s embrace
Spiritual people tend to search for sun and moon tattoo designs that aren’t very realistic, but look nice and mean a lot.
38. A couple in the Universe’s net
The Sun and the Moon, as well as Venus and Mars are among the Universe’s celestial couples. This tattoo represents them in color and is accurate about their size.
39. A peculiar yet fascinating style
Identifying the drawing style applies for these tattoos is quite difficult, but we all agree upon its originality and fascination.
40. A grumpy circle on back
Portraying the moon or the sun as grumpy might mean something. They are framed in a perfect circle and inked on a woman’s back.
41. Minimalism and dotwork in one
These two celestial bodies can be represented in various ways, including minimalism and dotwork.
42. Night sky overlapping Sun’s mandala
Like an intruder in perfect harmony, the shine of the stars at night becomes part of a mandala tattoo representing the sun.
43. Half moon and sun in the center
Getting a simple mandala tattoo and filling its core with the sun and the moon is a pretty good idea too.
44. Colored opposites merging on a shoulder
Based on the same color association mentioned above, this piece looks simple, but sends a powerful message.
45. The god and the goddess properly drawn
Each person’s taste is their own business, but I think this tattoo truly represents the god-like part of humanoid Sun and Moon.
46. Opposites that do not merge
Rather than representing them together, this girl chose to get separate tattoos of the two planets.
47. A couple tattoo with great meaning
The moon on a lady and the sun on a man is a great idea for a couple’s tattoo. This particular couple chose circular and symmetrical designs and placed them on their upper arms.
48. Every Moon phase from the neck down
Starting from the nape of the neck and going down on her spine, this line of moon phases tattoos requires dedication and a little knowledge as well.
49. An Indo-European representation
The Sanskrit and the abstract shapes are part of the Indo-European family.
50. Small feminine tattoo on wrist
Some women are lunatic and also characterize themselves as such. Therefore, seeing a moon tattoo with ornaments on a woman’s wrist seems just right.
51. Our love will last forever
One other advantage or sun and moon tattoo designs is that no one knows what it actually means for you. It could be a couple’s tattoo about which you won’t have to talk unless you really want to.
52. Wolf staring at the moon by Miguel Angel
The name of the tattoo artist who inked this piece is Miguel Angel. If you like his work, feel free to look him up.
53. Beautiful moon tattoo on foot
Its amazing how delicate, perfectly located and sized this design is!
54. Clown hangs from a half moon
This tattoo design is definitely metaphorical. It’s about a clown that hangs from a half moon which has a lamp that’s supposed to brighten someone’s path or day.
55. Dark half moon placed on forearm
A quite contrasting tattoo, this one is highlighted by its dark color and nicely defined edges.
56. All the moon phases without exceptions
Simplifies and nicely done in a symmetrical way, all the moon’s phases found place on a chick’s forearms. She is a hippie girl by the looks of it.
57. Half moon, tulips and a black cat
Taking all the symbols from this tattoo and analyzing them would be useless. If you like something in particular, you can read about it in depth.
58. Half moon and stars behind the ear
Even if a moon tattoo holds meaning, it can easily be lost in case of small tattoos or decorative tattoos.
59. Half moon made of flowers and leaves
If you’re not thinking about filling a half moon’s shape with something, then you can create the half moon shape by using other shapes such as flowers and leafs.
60. Nicely shaded half moon on the nape of the neck
Today’s youth generation is either for minimalist tattoos or for hyper-realistic ones. Few tattoo lovers opt for unique designs or brave styles.
61. Delicate inking on a woman’s hand
Choosing such a detailed tattoo and inking it on such small body part requires skill. Try not to experiment with tattooists that ask little money and deliver less quality as well.
62. Stars, clouds and the half moon
This small tattoo can be considered a tiny landscape of the shy.
63. As realistic as it gets
Giving the size of this moon, this tattoo is as realistic as it gets.
64. Half moon instead of ring
Finger tattoos have gained a lot of popularity for the past years. They are like rings you cannot lose.
65. Cat, half moon and flowers
Did you know that the moon doesn’t only have power over people, but also over animals as well? The moon calls creatures such as wolves, cats, lions, owls and so on.
66. A tribal depiction of the half moon
This design is another example that you can obtains the shape of a half moon using lots of different other shapes.
67. Realistic moon phases on spine
68. Sun, Moon and their powers
These two planets have important roles even when we don’t see them in the middle of the sky.
69. Tribal sun made of swirls
Swirls are circular, tribal and express positivism.
70. Half moon adorned with flowers
Such grandiose lady of the sky must be adorned with flowers.
71. Another view over the sun and moon portraits
As said before, the style you choose for your tattoos must suit you and be visually pleasant for you.
72. Earth and Moon united in a balanced composition
This tattoo isn’t a simple drawing. It is a composition made of multiple elements and inked with skill.
73. Half moon and a road of stars
74. Sun and moon tattoo designs with half mandalas
75. A simple looking celestial pair
In the end, the best sun and moon tattoo designs will be the ones you find appealing, not the ones specialists like.