The half down half up hairstyle is a failsafe hairdo that has been making its rounds on formal events recently. But this hairstyle, also known as the ‘halfie’, has actually been around since the 60s, worn by gorgeous screen sirens during that period – Like French actress Brigitte Bardot, for instance. One of the reasons why this ‘do has lasted longer than expected is because it suits any hair type, and can be styled quite easily – Even by novices.
Wearing a half-up and half-down hairdo carries some sort of bohemian look and feel to it, giving the hairstyle a very casual vibe. Maybe teens can wear this particular hairdo during the prom season. And if you prefer something a bit more glamorous, then there are plenty of other halfie hairstyles out there that work well for formal occasions too. The versatility of a halfie is one of the many reasons why this hairstyle is just amazing. A couple of tweaks and modifications here and there can make this humble hairdo look very appropriate for a fun night out of town, and trendy without drawing too much attention from other people. This hairstyle is also easy and simple enough for you to create, without seeking the help of a professional. But if you prefer getting it done at your nearest hair salon, you can bring a picture of your latest hair inspiration and ask your stylist to do it for you.
- 1 Things You Might Want To Know About Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
- 2 Simple Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
- 3 How To Make Half Up And Half Down Hairstyles
- 4 Two Best Hair Types For Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
- 5 Celebrities Wearing Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
Things You Might Want To Know About Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
- The half up and half down hairstyle is well-liked by so many celebrities, not to mention a couple of brides and bridesmaids out there. In fact, they have also acquired the royal seal of approval recently – And this is just proof that you’re definitely in good company if you choose to wear your hair in the same fashion.
- The half up and half down hairstyle is a popular bridal hairstyle, as mentioned earlier. This is a hairstyle that combines together the softness of a curly hairstyle and the support and structure of a ponytail.
- Even though the halfie is a fabulous hairdo in general, it actually doesn’t require too much fixing. In fact, anyone can try out this hairstyle at home, with the aid of their own basic styling and braiding skills. You no longer have to visit your hairdresser, unless you want to make a fancier version of this hairdo for a formal occasion, or for a party.
- The half up half down hairdo is a highly versatile hairstyle. This means that you can style it in so many different ways, since it can accommodate nearly every face shape, hair color, and even hair type.
- Creating the halfie is just as easy as having to pull down a front section of your hair right on the top of your head, with the ends of your eyebrows as a starting point and securing it with a couple of bobby pins. Naturally, there are dozens of variations when it comes to this theme, which includes plaits – Both single and on the side. You can add in other accessories to your hair, such as a pretty barrette, a bow, or twist your hair into a tight bun.
Simple Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
The half down and half up hairstyle has got to be one of the best hairstyles that ladies can try out. They both provide the sophistication and attraction of an updo, and the gentleness and femininity of a hair that you let down your back.
- Curly and Messy Style – This is a half updo that will enhance your overall look. Curl your hair then tease the crown part to create a bit of volume. Grab a couple of sections of your hair and twist them upward loosely. Lock them into place using bobby pins. This is a hairstyle that gives off a summery vibe and is excellent for weddings.
- Glam Half-Up Bouffant – You can look trendy and retro at the same time thanks to this halfie hairstyle. It’s got nice, sleek side-swept bangs. This is a hairstyle that is both feminine and versatile. All you have to do is to add in a bit of volume through backcombing your tresses starting from the back, then apply hairspray on it and pin it at the sides.
- Fishtail Braid Half Updo – No matter if you have plans to go to a formal occasion or if you want to find one more way to change your daily look, then this hairdo is the best option for you. And if you want to recreate this particular hairstyle, you should know how to make a fishtail braid first. This is a braid that’s very easy to make. And after you have mastered making the fishtail, then you can don the half updo hair everyday. To make those braids look thicker and messier, lightly tug on the outside pieces from the braids, pulling outwards.
- Teased Crown & Soft Curls – Sometimes, a simpler hairstyle speaks volumes. A smooth and simple bump, paired up with a matching wavy hairstyle looks very brilliant. The only thing you have to do is to give your hair some curls using a curly iron (if you have straight hair, that is) and wait for them to cool down. Then slowly brush through your hair using a grooming brush. This is a brush that can help you spread your hair’s natural oils, going down towards the rest of your hair. One of the good ways of teasing your own hair is to build a bump using a tail comb. Smoothen the tease using a larger brush and secure it into place using those reliable bobby pins.
- Bun Bangs And Half Updo – The bun part of this hairstyle adds in a bit of sass to those soft fringes, while drawing attention to your eyes. This look fits nicely for prom or homecoming season, and not only that – It’s also easy to build up as well. You can leave your bangs out then place back a small portion of your hair at the back of your head, to build up a high bun and lock them together into place. Also See:
- 80 Arrow Tattoo Designs with their actual Meanings
- Crochet Needles For Hair – Do You Really Need This?
- 125 Freetress Deep Twist You’ll Be Looking For In 2018
- How To Achieve The Dark Blue Hair You Always Wanted To Have
- 125 Timeless Caesar Haircut For Men
How To Make Half Up And Half Down Hairstyles
For Glam Half-Up Bouffant
- Begin by brushing your hair towards the back. Split your hair into two sections. Then gather all of them towards the front section by your crown, leaving the remainder of your hair loose.
- The next step requires you to twist the part of your hair that you have separated towards the end part of your strands. Check to see if it’s twisted very tightly so it won’t come undone.
- Then, coil the twisted portion around itself to create a small bun. Lock it into position using some bobby pins. Lock the hairdo into place using hairspray, then smoothen the top part.
Tip: If you want a much more stylish hairdo, you can give the crown twice the amount of volume. If you want to do that, just backcomb the front part of your hair after separating it. Add more hairspray to it so that the hair holds up. Smoothen the top portion out afterwards.
Two Best Hair Types For Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
- Fishtail Braid Half Updo – This is a type of hairstyle that works very nicely with thinner hair. That’s because with this hairstyle, you wrap the braids securely around the back of your head. They’re also smaller and much more delicate. Before you can begin doing the braid, make sure to prepare your hair using a braid paste, or spray texturizer on it so that they won’t slip out of the updo. The braids for this hairdo should also be tight so it won’t look too messy and fall out.
- The Half Crown Braid – This is a very romantic and soft hairstyle. You can give yourself the advantage of wearing a head full of curls. The halo of braids surrounding your face gives it a nice framing, and provides you with an excellent updo, to boot.
- Jennifer Garner – The ‘Love, Simon’ star attended the premiere of another one of her films at the ArcLight Hollywood back in 2016, wearing a lovely halfie hairdo.
- Rose Byrne – In May 2016, the Aussie actress arrived at the premiere of ‘Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising’ in California, donning the same elegant half up half down hairdo.
- Katy Perry – The ‘Bon Appetit’ singer paired up this lovely metallic blue jacket with a pink halter top, and a high-waisted skirt. This look complements her retro-inspired halfie hairdo, which she wore during the 51st Country Music Awards in Las Vegas, held last April 2016.